5 reasons commuters love mobile ticketingby Kevin Boland,
VP of Business Development,
Conduent Transit Systems
Public transit is a wonder of the times. This system of transportation offers ease of access, decreased congestion, and eco-friendly transport for the masses. But transit is not always as easy to use as it could be
There are different modes (buses, light rail, subways), different kinds of tickets, and different price structures available for the traveler to use. What are the best choices, especially for the travelers who don’t use the system every day?
One way to make public transit easier is by using an integrated mobile ticketing solution for transit; one that can choose the best fare based on the way people travel. Here are five ways an advanced mobile ticketing system can improve the customer experience of traveling on transit.
- Get moving with mobile payment: Mobile ticketing allows commuters to skip the ticket booth and long lines altogether. By taking advantage of the efficiency and ease of mobile accessibility, this new system fits perfectly in the commuter’s way of life. Everyone already uses mobile devices to shop, socialize, and schedule their day. Using mobile to handle payments for transit is more than just a helpful solution. It is what commuters want and expect from public transit payment services.
- Accessible from all mobile devices: Mobile accessibility when paying for public transit is only as good as the service options. What if a commuter’s mobile device isn’t compatible with a payment system? This is a non-issue with a solution like our Seamless® Transportation System, because it is designed to be compatible with every type of mobile device. Commuters can access the payment system no matter if they have a pre-paid phone or the newest smartphone. Every type of mobile phone will work.
- One-stop shop for public transport: Commuters can use one super convenient method to pay for all types of public transport. City buses, subway, metro, ferries, park-and-ride facilities, carpooling, light rail…you name it, a great mobile ticketing solution will handle it. Think of your transportation system as a whole; an all-inclusive program should be able to include all public transportation services.
- Ride planning made simple: A commuter can bounce around between trams and trains via an integrated trip planner. Consider that many urban areas and big cities like Los Angeles and Seattle offer several mobile transit options for every route. Using a mobile app, commuters can decide which types of transit to take based on their preferences, the weather, or their budget. Commuters then pay for each public transit mode as they go.
- Ticketless, cashless…seamless: Throughout a day of traversing in a big city, commuters have enough to keep them busy. The stimulations of sights and sounds already serve as distractions. Having to keep track of ticket stubs and payment receipts is just another opportunity to ruin anyone’s day. There is also the issue of tracking daily spending. Whether commuters are working or sightseeing in an urban area, they want to know ahead of time how much money is needed to cover public transit expenses. With a mobile app, commuters are no longer digging for misplaced bus tokens and metro cards. They aren’t dealing with tired agents, and those who speak English as a second language can rest assured that they won’t get lost in translation when buying tickets.
Implementing an integrated mobile ticketing solution makes it easier for commuters and visitors to plan their trips and pay with their device. It keeps people moving, and that’s what we’re all about.
Read more about our solution, Conduent Seamless® Transportation System by visiting our website.